Blog Catalog

Monday, December 6, 2010

Jabulani Le-fail

I'm sorry, I keep trying to listen to and give Mr. Jabulani Feffal, the host of KCUR FM's "Central Standard" radio show that replaced "The Walt Bodine Show" a chance but it just isn't working for me.

I'll keep trying, too, just to be fair, but it's difficult, at least.

Today, Mr. Lefall had on our illustrious Mayor Mark Funkhouser and unfortunately did what too many media people do--in this case, he had young students throwing softball questions at the mayor.  What wasn't mushy was painful.

At one point, the mayor pointed out all the millions and billions of dollars we owe as a city, going forward.  Somewhat naturally, that got me to thinking about the 1,000 room hotel the city is trying to get built here in town as a way to build convention business.

"If we can't afford the billions of dollars for sewers--or if we can, it's going to be difficult, at least--how can we even think about building a 1,000 room hotel?" is the question I wanted to ask.

So I dialed.

And I told the young lady who took my call what my name and city were, along with my question.

Unbelievably, she said that they had already touched on a "shrinking the city", physically, question so she didn't feel the question pertinent.

WTH?

Listen, if the mayor is lamenting our big expenses to come in the near future but everyone down at City Hall is also trying to come up with a big hotel for us to finance, doesn't that seem to fit right in, right then, as a related questioin?

Nope, not to this high-voiced young lady.  No, sir, we'll take some other question.

The questioners then went on to ask the mayor what super hero he thought he would like to be, yes they did.

Ai-yi-yi.

I know that's a "behind the scenes" example there at the station but I have to say, to go from someone who knew the city and its history--that is Walt Bodine--to someone we have to get to know and get familiar with, well, I know there's going to be transition and difficulty and everyone has to get used to each other but I have to say, much as I want KCUR and "Central Standard" to be successful, this CS show doesn't--yet--seem to be working.  Today's overall show was alternately either empty or painful.  (Don't think I wanted Walt to go on forever, either.  I had already suggested here that Steve Kraske should maybe take over the spot, which, of course, didn't happen.)

I hope they can get it worked out so it's worth listening to soon.

It sure isn't working for this listener.

Link:  http://www.kcur.org/centralstandard.html

No comments: