Blog Catalog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Quik Trip (QT) and their ugly, unnecessary, irresponsible waste

I was going home late last evening and stopped by a Quik Trip (QT) up North, on 169 Highway in Smithville.  There was a rather large guy there, with these big, black storage tubs (20" deep maybe by 3' long?) and he was throwing all the fruit--which wasn't spoiled, by the way, by any means--and baked goods (doughnuts, muffins, etc.) into the tubs.

Naturally, my first reaction was--and I asked him--"You're giving that to Harvesters, right?"

His answer was quick and negative.

It was all going to be thrown away.

The apples looked "new" as though they were still at a grocery store on the shelves.  Same with the bananas.  As for the baked goods, well, those things always look okay unless they're REALLY old--a week or more?--so you can't tell freshness until you bite into them.

If I had gotten there at 8:30, I could have bought and eaten it.  By 9 o'clock, however, it was to be trash.

I was disgusted by the waste so I repeated my question and incredulousness to the young lady at the checkout counter:  Was it really going to be thrown away?

She answered that she thought QT had announced a recent program to start giving it all to Harvesters for their volunteers.  She understood Harvesters couldn't give it away to the poor or homeless, she said, for fear of making someone sick--and I totally get that, the liability issue--but that it hadn't started yet.

So here's the deal.  I hope someone, anyone, at Quik Trip sees this posting today and can get back to me to say that the food is, very soon, no longer going to be wasted and thrown away.

Somebody, please tell me this is going to change.

That is an incredibly large amount of food, thrown away every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, I was told, and repeated at all their stores, throughout the area and chain.

Having just gone to their corporate website, they show a long list of organizations they work with and supposedly benefit--I don't doubt it--but Harvesters is not on the list and there is no recent announcement shown on the site, either, saying that they've started this new program.

Here's hoping.

This has got to change.  That food could help a LOT of people, one way or another, and still not hurt their sales in any way.

2 comments:

Fate said...

I'd have to look up the source again, but I once read a study that fully 1/2 of all consumable agricultural product in the United States will be thrown away.

Mo Rage said...

I have to hope that's not even close to right.

But I have a bad feeling...

The thing is, if the young lady at the counter is right, that QT is going to start giving that stuff that would normally be discarded to Harvesters, they could and would be doing themselves a HUGE and terrific public relations service.

And I'll be only too happy to print about it right here, too, and as soon as possible.