Ironically, though, we've come to a time where, in at least several ways, our money is crushing us. It's crushing the people and so, the nation. I'll give examples.
First, there is our healthcare. The evidence:
- We are the only nation that ties health and healthcare to profit and profits
- Ours is the most expensive in the world
- Our citizens, lots of them, go bankrupt, due to healthcare costs and expenses
- We are the only Western, industrialized nation whose citizens do go bankrupt due to healthcare costs and expenses
- More of our citizens go bankrupt due to these healthcare costs than any other reason or source of expense
- Some, far too many, of our citizens die, actually die because they can't afford healthcare
Second, next, is higher education--colleges and university study. We did and do the same with it we did with healthcare. That is, we've made it outrageously expensive, just because we don't limit corporations over-arching need and goal to make money above all costs, students and citizens be damned.
Then there's what we call defense, military defense of the nation. No one even remotely comes close to what we spend on bombs and tanks and bases around the world. It's crushing us.
Meanwhile, our schools and roads and highways and sewage treatment and all we need the nation over, goes wanting so we, the people go wanting. And let's all keep in mind, it was military spending the world over that bankrupted the now-former USSR. We learn nothing. (And under the "We Learn Nothing" file, look at Vietnam and Afghanistan as just two perfect example).
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we let business ruin us, ruin the nation--we legalized bribery of our government representatives, most specifically in Congress, in the nation's Capitol.
And this is the result.
We have to take our nation back. We have to take it back from the money, back from the big money, back from the corporations and already-wealthy. We have to take it back, honestly, from the Republicans and their political party.
And it's got to come from us, people.