Blog Catalog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

An American soldier's take on the Iraq War and the US

"My initial reaction was disgust.  And then sickness.  And shame.  Because I, I felt kind of embarassed for myself.  It's almost living your whole life in a lie.  Like you're lying to yourself and you're being lied to.  And you feel like you're, you're being sheltered from everything that is real.  So I, I got, I got frustrated and I got pissed and I got bitter and the more that I got bitter and the more that I learned, I should say the more I learned and the more I experienced in the Army, the more bitter I became and the more angry and frustrated I became with growing up in a family that wanted to shelter me from reality, a society that wanted to shelter me from reality, a government that wanted to shelter me from the disgusting, immoral and illegal things that they do.

Now I know what I want to do with the rest of my life.  You know, I want to focus on making sure that another kid doesn't make the same mistake as me.  I don't want our country and our government and our Congress to be sending kids off to war to fight and die for oil or economic colonialism and military bases around the world.  And I feel it is my duty no matter what I do with my life, no matter what my job is, what my career is.  I feel it is my duty to constantly, constantly work to change that.

I do have hope.  I mean, I have hope, um, in the people of this country.  I don't have hope in the government."

--Jared Hood, Denver, Colorado

Links:  http://jonorlandophoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ivaw21.mov
https://www.ivaw.org/

No comments: