Blog Catalog

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Irresponsible ignorance at the grocery newstand

I was at the grocery store today and saw the front page of the National Enquirer today.

Usually they make me laugh.

Not so, today.

The headlines:

"Prez's Teacher Reveals:  Pres. Obama's Muslim Lies"

Immediately, I knew we were in for trouble.

There was more, naturally:

"His Koran Studies"    (Because, you know, it's important we never, ever read any information on any other religion of any kind.  Of course.   We all get that, right?  Even if you're NOT a Mormon--because that's what they believe).

Finally, the piece de' resistance:

"His Christian Mom was outraged"

So many things come to mind.

First, I know darned good and well people are going to believe this crap.  They won't even have to read the articles, either.  They'll just see the cover story and those ridiculous headlines and just reaffirm what Glenn Beck and Fox "News" told them.

And off they go, one day to vote in a booth near you.  And me.

Sick.

Uneducated, redneck, uninformed baffoons who merely see this will be off on their Right-wing, extremist, hating tangents, believing this stuff and reacting (over-reacting, more like) to this stuff.

It's one thing for the Enquirer to print the crap they do about aliens and movie stars, it's quite another to feed into ignorant--patently ignorant--views that uninformed and uneducated people believe about politics and politicians.

I have to say, I think it's dangerous for the Enquirer to have crossed this boundary.

And please, if you react to this posting, please don't tell me anyone won't react to these headlines and their perceptions, totally unaffected by race.  It's a factor, for sure.  It may not be the only one, sure, but race is a factor, certainly.  A significant and ugly one, at least for some--and for too many.

I fear for this country.

3 comments:

Joe White said...

The headlines you cite make reference to Obama's religious views.

But you maintain that 'race' will be a motivating factor in people's reactions.

You do know that 'race' and 'religion' aren't the same thing, don't you?

The headlines didn't have anything to say about Obama's race.

Why are you out there labeling people as 'racist' when that's not even on the radar in this case?

Mo Rage said...

Yes, I know that race and religion are different from one another. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

That said, if you or anyone else think people don't react to this president due to race, you are mistaken. I do maintain that race will be a factor in people's reactions. I've seen the posters and some of the really ugly, racist emails, saying as much.

Mo Rage said...

Yes, I know that race and religion are different from one another. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

That said, if you or anyone else think people don't react to this president due to race, you are mistaken. I do maintain that race will be a factor in people's reactions. I've seen the posters and some of the really ugly, racist emails, saying as much.