Blog Catalog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Notes on The New York Times and our world today

--Anyone who screams for less and less regulation of business should, once again, take a lesson from life--and China--today after reading that a 28-story apartment tower caught fire while under renovation yesterday. It ended up burning most of the building and killing "at least 42 people and injuring at least 90 others..." Less regulation. Right. As though oil spills and skyscraper fires aren't enough. Personally, I'm also fond of clean air, water and soil, too, but that's me. Oh, and I also don't like my world financial economy collapsing, either. Call me picky.

--There's a very small, brief article describing Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki saying yesterday that "an Iranian arms shipment intercepted in Nigeria was a 'misunderstanding' that had been settled." It goes on: "Nigeria says the shipment of artillery rockets and other weapons, which were labeled as building supplies and found in Lagos, Nigeria, last month, may have been on the way to politicians intending to use violence if they lose forthcoming elections." Get that? "Building supplies"? Yeah, right. We're convinced.

--There is a terrific review of what sounds like a wonderful and funny book by one Christian Lander that lampoons "being white". It's called "The Whiter Shade of Pale". The author of the review did his best, it seems/I think, to be on par with the humor of Mr. Lander. I have to quote one line in it for you: "When white people think about regular salt, all they can think about is sodium and poor health. When they think about sea salt, they think about France." I loved that line. (You're welcome).

--Finally, for the "true believers" or true followers out there of "everything Babs", I see in a full-color, full-page ad on the back of section C--naturally the Arts section--that Barbara Streisand has come out with a book on design. (Ugh). It's called, of course, "My Passion for Design" and quotes Ms. Streisand as saying "My whole life, in a sense, has been a search for beauty." Well, it has ever since she got her first big checks, anyway.

9 comments:

Radioman KC said...

Nicely done. I hadn't seen the Chinese thing. Whew.

Mo Rage said...

Thanks, RDM

Joe White said...

Do you seriously think that China's Communist government regulates LESS than the US government?

Mo Rage said...

You seriously think otherwise?

I watched a documentary on their pollution over there, among everthing else I've read and watched and yes, unequivocaly, I seriously think and believe that they regulate far less than we do, even before this high-rise went up in flames. They have millions and millions more people in a far larger country and are far poorer, so far, and have far fewer government officials, per person, too, so yes, I'd say all this proves that. There are 1 billion, 338 million, 612 thousand, 968 people estimated to live in China as of July, 2010, est'd by The World Factbook. By comparison, there are 307,212,123 Americans, est'd, The World Factbook. (http://www.mint.com/blog/finance-core/china-vs-united-states-a-visual-comparison/)

Joe White said...

pflow if what you say is true and we have MORE regulations than a Communist government, that's a great argument for less regulation/less government.

Maybe you can now understand why conservatives think we should have more freedom than a Communist country does.

Mo Rage said...

I didn't say regulations--I said regulators.

Joe White said...

Mo,

pflow wrote this about regulations: "Anyone who screams for less and less regulation of business should, once again, take a lesson from life--and China--today after reading that a 28-story apartment tower caught fire while under renovation yesterday. It ended up burning most of the building and killing "at least 42 people and injuring at least 90 others..." Less regulation. Right"

and that's what I was replying to.

Not sure what you are referring to.

Mo Rage said...

my mistake, then. I did refer more to regulations.

And tell you what--I'm still comfortable with that. I'm sure they have far less or they're not supported.

I'm happy we have more, as I said earlier, so our buildings don't collapse and we have clean air, water, soil, etc., and miss other corporate greedhead mistakes and tragedies.

Mo Rage said...

Update on the Chinese building fire:

"At least 53 people were killed, with another 36 people still missing.
Sixteen of the 71 people hospitalized are in critical condition."

So, yeah, this proves it. We need less business regulations for sure, absolutely.

Link to source: http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-headlines/questions-linger-after-tragic-shanghai-inferno