Blog Catalog

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Quote of the day--

From "All the Lonely People":

"Alcohol makes you feel better and then makes you feel worse and then remorselessly very bad indeed, but then alcohol will make you feel better again. It is the cure for the dog that bit you, and how easily you forget it is also the dog. Good Doctor Schlichter told me, 'It is the one relationship you have learned to count on, with the bottle.'
Thank God I found sobriety. I could sustain myself with my work, my reading, the movies, my friends. And walking, walking, walking. Of all the purposes of education, I think the most useful is this: It prepares you to keep yourself entertained. It gives you a better chance of an interesting job. Those who stare at the TV for hours might as well be sitting on a stone under a tree in a primeval village; indeed, that might offer more interest and variety."    --Roger Ebert, from his journal, literally, "Roger Ebert's Journal"

If you weren't familiar with Mr. Ebert's writing and journal before now, you might want to check it out.  His writing is frequently as good each day as it is with this entry.  (See link below)

I post this line because I liked it and think it somewhat important.  The rest of the column is really much more personal about loneliness, possible loneliness, computers, the internet and our modern age.  He writes beautifully, very personally and with terrific insight.


Have a terrific weekend, y'all.

Links:  http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/11/all_the_lonely_people.html
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I went to the link. It's a great read, and I've often thought about "all the lonely people" on the Internet. It's a strange world we live in.

Mo Rage said...

Yes, it really is a wonderful read, isn't it? He's very personally piercing, I think. Wonderful stuff. Glad you liked it.

I have texted "Eleanor Rigby" to a couple friends every once in a while, precisely for this reason. No one ever wants to talk or talk about it.

So it goes.

Enjoy your Sunday, as I'm sure you will.