Blog Catalog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Life in Kansas City and its environs








After the revelation last evening that Kansas City is number 3 on the "most dangerous cities in the nation" list from Forbes magazine, I found the following statistic, totally by chance, today on The Huffington Post:

 In one three-city study, suburban residents were 18% more likely to be killed or injured by traffic accidents or crime. If the entire U.S. shared New York’s traffic death rate, we would save more than 25,000 lives per year.


It seems more proof to me that Kansas City's sprawl and it's decision and commitments to sprawl, have lead us to where we are today, now, with this additional rating.  We waste gas and energy, we pollute more, we waste more time and energy in our cars, we have to use a car to get or do virtually anything, we don't know our neighbors too frequently and on and on.  It's no way to live.  A denser city is a smarter, safer city and one in which we leave the countryside to the countryside.  

It seems Malvina, above, was describing us, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I'm sorry, but I can't blame anybody for leaving neighborhoods where they and their family are at risk. I certainly love my memories of Kansas City; but I don't want to die for her. If my living in the country contributed to the horrible situation there, I don't feel I should be held accountable. Self-preservation, you know.

Mo Rage said...

Oh, I agree, Donna, now, but this goes years ago when we should have put a border of some kind around the city for development and had structured, more intelligent expansion instead of the unmlimited sprawl we got, instead, which was only good for developers and not the city.

Your stance is true after the fact. We should have had more a plan the way Seattle did.

mr