Blog Catalog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Chicken killing controversy in Concordia, Kansas


It seems a student, one Whitney Hillman of Concordia, Kansas is a good student, making good grades, attending school regularly and then, all of a sudden, went off the chart.

You see, Whitney took an "Animal Science and Food Production" class and in it "...each student would be given a baby chick to raise for six weeks in preparation for slaughter."

And I have to say, I think that's sick, having a kid to raise a chicken, virtually as a pet, and then slaughter it in class.

No wonder she reacted the way she did.

I have a friend and had a Grandfather who both went, as children, to a meat-packing plant and that was it for them for the rest of their lives--no meat.  (At least the Grandfather couldn't touch beef.  He'd eat pork only but only then if it were cooked so dry as to make it nearly flavorless).

For clarification, I'm like Whitney's Mom, according to the story.  She questioned "...why students essentially were allowed to bond with the chicks, only to be asked to kill them later."

I know if we all had to do this--kill our own meat as children--a whole lot more of us would be vegetarians.

And we'd be healthier, too, for it, singularly and as a nation.

Now, where's that little Mexican place I like so much?

Link to original story:  http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/22/2344581_teen-saves-pet-chicken-from-slaughter.html?storylink=omni_popular

2 comments:

Bea Elliott said...

I really have to commend Whitney - She's a very astute and independent young woman. And the class did accomplish something... Kids are supposed to be learning life's values and who they wish to become as an adult. It's evident Whitney got an education (despite that she was her own teacher), about compassion and loyalty. I applaud her and everyone else that makes the connection to the face on their plates and chooses other options. :)

Thanks for writing this story and for inviting comment.

Mo Rage said...

I thought of myself back there at her age--okay to good student but very obedient. I don't know that I'd have had the strength, courage and clarity to do what I felt was right as she did.

Good for her. I applaud her, too, for sure.

You're welcome, of course. And thanks for writing.

mr