Blog Catalog

Friday, June 10, 2011

A fitting end to a team with a most boring name

My question to you is, what's more boring, the name of Kansas City's new soccer team ("Sporting KC") or the end of their first game (Sporting KC, Chicago play to 0-0 tie).  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "soccer hater", far from it.  I'm happy to have soccer here in town.  I think it's great that the city has a new soccer stadium, that is, if we'll truly support it long-term and into the future.  I think we will for a lot of reasons.  For one, it's growing in popularity even here in the heartland and two, we have plenty of people from other parts of the world that DO, in fact, support soccer more.

It's just that, as I wrote here before, to call a team Sporting KC is so vague--"Isn't that a sporting goods store?"--and to not have a team win gives you pause.

Sure, sure, I know, that's the way soccer is, that's the way it's played.

I just can't think of a more fitting end to their first game, what with that moniker.

All that said, I wish them well.

I wish them very well.

Link:  http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/09/2939895/sporting-kc-chicago-play-to-scoreless.html

No comments: