Blog Catalog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Quote of the day--on "safety nets"

 "This is what I mean by my constant insistence on ‘moderation’ in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."  -- Dwight Eisenhower

And yet this is now precisely what some Republican leaders are attempting.

Link to original post:  http://mattpayton.tumblr.com/post/3464786643
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2011/02/quote-9.html

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

There's a difference between eliminating unemployemnt, and limiting it. Without unemployment insurance, I would have been flipping burgers or something while continuing to look for a 'real' job in my field.

I'd be fine with eliminating social security--even wiping out my 30 years of contributions I'd be ahead by not having to contribute any more. (and it doesn't matter whether they take it from my employer before or after he sets my rate, it comes out of the total either way)

We need some labor laws--but why should I be forced to join a union to do certain jobs?

Why should we raise the price of milk and food to protect ADM's interests?

Mo Rage said...

Agreed on the unemployment and unemp. insurance.

You'd be fine eliminating Social Security but a) a lot of people wouldn't and b) I'll take my $21,000.00 first, please.

If the place decided to go union and you want to work there, then you'd have to either choose to also go union or look elsewhere for work. That's choice.

And you're right about the farm programs and ADM, etc. When Eisenhower spoke this, it was a far different world for farming and most all other issues, than now, for sure.