Blog Catalog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

On Trader Joe's coming to Kansas City

I've made my first foray into a Trader Joe's retail store.

Yow.

What a find.

Now I'm even more jazzed than ever that this chain is bringing its goods to the Kansas City metropolitan area.

You want bargains?  They gotcher' bargains.

The one I visited isn't even a huge store but it surely had plenty of things in it to make you not want to go anywhere else, that's for sure.

As a small example, I don't, as a rule, buy potato chips since, if I bought a bag, I'd end up marching either completely through it, in one evening, or mostly, anyway, but they have a salt and pepper potato chips bag that is really to die for.

And that's just the beginning.

Whoever started and now runs these stores comes up with the coolest, tastiest products you'll ever want to see--AND NO ONE ELSE HAS THEM.

Go figure.

They have a line of organic soups, folks, in little cartons (they serve at least 3 bowls of soup for you) and they are absolutely delicious.  Some of the examples of them are Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato, Corn and Roasted Pepper, Carrot Ginger Soup and Butternut Squash Soup, to name just a few.  They taste wonderful, they're organic, they're good for you and--possibly saving best for last---they're only $2.80 per carton.  Really.  For three servings of soup.  It's not only outstanding on it's own right, it's also an outstanding value.

They also have a long line of cheeses you won't see anywhere else, along with crackers and cookies that are unique and delicious.

If you're a liquor store owner that is within, I'd say 5 miles of Ward Parkway Mall, where TJ's is going to open, I'd fear for my business as Trader Joe's has not only unique wines from all over the world but they also price them from their famous "Two-buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wines) to, oh, I'd say a high price of between 5 and 7 dollars per bottle.

I'm here to tell you, this is one great store and one great chain.

They make saving money chic.  Extremely chic at that. 

We'll all look cool saving money.

Take that Wal-Mart.

Link:  http://www.traderjoes.com/

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

I love Trader Joe's, I only wish I didn't have to go so far to the nearest store. A lot of their house brands are better than the national brand equivalents, and their limited time Vintage Ale is great, if you like dark Belgian ale.

Plus from what I've heard, they pay very well, and they have a sense of humor--"Two Buck Chuck" started out as making fun of their Charles Shaw line, but at least my store has signs that say 'two buck Chuck'.

windowbus said...

We will soon be coming to KC/Leawood with an empty van, and stop at TJs and Costco, and Lawrence to the COOP, and stock up once a month!