Blog Catalog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Most Liveable Cities": US still not in top 10

The Economist's "Most Livable Cities" rankings are just out and guess what "Superpower" country doesn't have one city--not one--in the top 10?

Yeah.  You guessed it.  Little old US of A.

How's that "we're number one!" thing going for you?

This year's "top ten":



Some background from the report:
Cities that score best tend to be mid-sized cities in wealthier countries with a relatively low population density. This often fosters a broad range of recreational availability without leading to high crime levels or overburdened infrastructure. Seven of the top ten scoring cities are in Australia and Canada, where population densities of 2.88 and 3.40 people per sq km respectively compare with a global (land) average of 45.65 and a US average of 32.
The bad news?  We're not in the top 10.
The good news?  We're not in the bottom 10. 
Note that Canada and Australia, the two countries with more cities in the top rankings than any other, have far less guns per capita than the US of A.  
Coincidence?  
I don't think so.  It's at least a factor.
More:
Somewhere between the extremes sit London and New York in 53rd and 56th places. They are let down by stability scores of 75 and 70, the result in turn of poor scores for the perceived threat of terror and the rates of petty and violent crime.
I'm certainly not saying the US isn't a desirable place to live and I refuse to trash either the city or country where I reside but I think it's worthwhile to point out there are things--many, really--we can and should do to improve these places we live and so, our lives.
Final, side note:  Apparently the Economist is using this ranking as a way to keep their media afloat since they very publicly and internationally announced the above and it's hitting all kinds of outlets--radio, TV, newspapers, etc. and they are, at present, shown charging $500.00 if you want this current, full issue with all the data.  

2 comments:

Heather said...

I consider the significance of these rankings quite questionable. I believe it's what a person wants and likes that makes a city liveable. I live in Toronto and I am absolutely happy with my life here. There are so many things to do and see. I have travelled to many different cities and towns but I am always so excited to come home. For everyone home should be the best place to live, no matter where that may be.

Mo Rage said...

Subjective rankings will always be questionable, for one.

Two, I visited Toronto and I can't imagine why you wouldn't enjoy it. It seemed like a very clean, hospitable, cosmopolitan city that works to me. I've not heard anything negative about the place, other than it's being located a bit North for some folks.