Blog Catalog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

John Lennon's "Imagine", revised

I've always loved John Lennon's song "Imagine", as so many of us do. No surprise. Anyone who reads here (both of you) would likely be able to guess that, right? But I've always thought it had one problem. I've always believed it should be more inclusive and not require that "you join us" but that "we join together", period. Herewith, below, is how I think the lyrics should go, should have been written, with apologies to John Lennon, may he rest in peace, for my chutzpah: You may say that I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one, I hope someday we'll join up, And the world will live as one. See? There's a lot less self-assumption here that "I'm/we're right" and you need to join us. That, after all, is what causes wars in the first place. Peace, y'all.

4 comments:

Sevesteen said...

Imagine libertarianism-maximum freedom, minimum coercion, just enough rules to enforce contracts and prevent abuse of others. Join us, and if we win, we will leave you alone to enjoy your life.

Sounds like a good compromise to me...

Mo Rage said...

okay, see? that sounds within the realm of possibility.

have a great weekend,

mr

Sevesteen said...

And the best thing for me is that the compromise is almost all for the statists--modern liberals and modern conservatives. I hardly have to compromise at all.

Mo Rage said...

Is that sanctimony I hear in there?

Smugness?

What is that?

Meantime, I can say that, even as I try to work within the system, as a Democrat, there are tons of things that need changing, to begin with and that some of those include a) shrinking government and b) cutting spending.

We just have to all agree on what and where.

mr