Blog Catalog

Friday, February 8, 2013

The news


On last evening's news, on KCTV5, all they could do, all evening, it seemed, was show live footage of a helicopter flying over an overturned bus that had apparently been hit by a 4-door red sedan.

Incessantly.

It's as if they hadn't produced a news program earlier that day.

For local news, in their ideal world, they like to get shootings, fires, live helicopter footage or someone crying, for any reason.

Today, on CNN, all they can do is flip between the two stories of the big snowstorm that's supposed to hit New York City, Boston and the Northeast over the weekend and the Los Angeles policeman who killed--what? 3 people?--and who is on the loose.

Ad inifinitum.

Flipped over to NBC news and they told of--guess what?--the LA cop on the loose.

This is one slow news week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just turn off your TV! I do not have cable, just whatever channels I can get on an inside antenna. As long as I get PBS and can watch Downton Abbey on Sunday night, I am fine! At least I know it is fiction.;-)
For actual news, the local newspaper for local news (and a surprisingly advanced editorial line), the websites of national and some foreign papers for national and international news.
Also BBC.

I watched yesterday (on PBS) a documentary on the 1963 integration of Clemson University, that happened peacefully. A journalist, who had been present then, was interviewed recently in the documentary, and he said something along the lines that "the event has little journalistic value" as it was not violent. It is unfortunately true...

You might be interested in this
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/302/819/043/?z00m=20494773


Mo Rage said...

I agree about just shutting it off, sure, but that doesn't mean this kind of thing will go away, first, and second, actually, I don't and won't pay for cable, anyway. And before, when I did, I did "unplug" and went with an antenna. Besides only being one small, one-time purchase for the antenna and no longer paying a cable company so much per month, I still got an HD signal on the local channels.

It just doesn't pay to have cable, to me.

Though I do love watching me some "Real Time with Bill Maher", I have to admit.