Blog Catalog

Monday, May 14, 2012

What they didn't tell you about using Bing

For anyone who cares and who pays attention to search engines and the progress of the internet, I thought this brief article, today, in The New York Times was interesting.

It seems, if you're going to flip over and use bing for your search, there's something you ought to know. That is:

"Last week, when Microsoft gave a reporter early access to the new version of Bing, a message in the search bar of the product indicated that all the search terms entered on Bing could be shared with friends in a Facebook social network."

Oh, joy.

One more place our information is not only shown to everyone else but collected and--yes--no doubt sold to other companies.

Yeehaw, eh?

Link: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/going-social-but-not-creepy-in-the-new-bing/

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I still use Zabasearch so I can get free stuff. When that doesn't work, I use Google. Of course we all know Google is pretty much into everybody's business too. I'd say the Internet is no place for sissies.

Renewable News Network said...

I tried to delete Bing. Its difficult to kill it.