Blog Catalog

Friday, May 18, 2012

On the proliferation of inexpensive wine

First, there was, rather famously, "two-buck Chuck", introduced by Trader Joes.

And thank goodness for that.

They started the trend, I think we can say, clearly. That is, a fairly good, everyday table wine.

Of course, for the longest time, we couldn't get it here since we had no such store. Fortunately for us, that's changed with them having come to Ward Parkway Center.

Then, naturally, Walmart had to get in the mix so they introduced their own private label wine for nearly the same price. (It's actually about 20 cents less per bottle, as it should be. The quality, if you can call it that--"quality"--at this price level), is just not quite as good.

Now, I just learned last evening that local grocery store Hy-Vee has their own private label wine for $3 a bottle.

From what I understand, there is actually a glut of oil on the world markets.

I don't know. I can't check that out.

But I do know there is a glut of pretty good, inexpensive wine in the retail markets.

And for that, I'm grateful.

Very grateful.

Have a great weekend, y'all. And drink responsibly, if at all.

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I share your gratefulness.

Mo Rage said...

So I'm in good (to great) company.


Have a great weekend.