Blog Catalog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Little Wildcatter's coloring problem goes viral

First it was in The Kansas City Star (see link below), now it hit the internets and went viral--it's one of the main stories right now on Yahoo! News: Kindergarten K-State fan refuses to color Jayhawk mascot despite teacher’s ire In case you hadn't heard or seen it yet: As reported in detail at Lost Lettermen and the Kansas City Star, 5-year-old Emma Burton of Olathe, Kan., refused to participate in a class coloring assignment when she and her classmates were told to color in a Jayhawk, the mascot of the University of Kansas. The coloring exercise was part of the kindergarten class' celebration of the state of Kansas. Personally, I think she sounds like a bit of a typical, suburban, spoiled brat. Go here for the rest of the story: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/kindergarten-k-state-fan-refuses-color-jayhawk-mascot-170922025.html; http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/12/3425341/color-this-little-wildcat-purple.html

4 comments:

the crustybastard said...

Surely in America we can accommodate the elevation of one's sports-team affiliation to the exalted level of "religious freedom," which itself has come to mean, "if I believe I can talk to an ancient invisible zombie, your laws don't apply to me."

"You can't force me to pay taxes that support my rival team's school! What about free speech?!!"

Seriously, "Idiocracy" was a documentary.

Mo Rage said...

She's a child, at this point. To me it isn't about "freedom of speech" at all. To me, this is an issue of needing to follow directions and knowing who's in charge, who the authority figure is (the teacher, of course) and that she needs to follow directions, finally. That's the issue, not free speech. Once the girl gets that, I don't think it matters what she colors. Or how.

the crustybastard said...

Was trying for sarcasm and evidently came up short.

By the way, I almost can't load your blog anymore. It just brings my browser to its knees.

Mo Rage said...

I take you very (too, apparently) seriously, I guess.

I'll take some crap off the blog and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the heads up.