Blog Catalog

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Here's why I blog

The actor, Viggo Mortensen is, apparently, a writer, it seems.

It's news to me.

We frequently assume actors are shallow and/or self-absorbed, think (and heaven knows, frequently it's so true) but there are always those exceptions that ruin one more stereotype.

Anyway, his brief article tells of the difference one person or even a small group can make on mankind:

"Whenever change as happened, it has been through protest, dissent, struggle, social movements, ordinary people picketing, striking, boycotting, sitting down, sitting in. All this mans that we make history, history is effected by our everyday decisions. And we have a responsibility to speak out when we see injustice. We can't wait on others to "lead" us or solve our problems for us. We have to participate, to engage, every day and not just once every four years."

And this, as I've always known, is why I blog.

I may just be one tiny "voice in the wilderness", sure, I acknowledge that, but I want to do what I can to point out the obscene, the unjust, the unfair, the untrue and more.

I also enjoy putting up things that are either funny or beautiful or awe-inspiring or the like but more than anything, I put stuff up here to rail against injustice and/or wrongs. I figure if I can touch one person's life and either give information someone didn't have or--in the best case--change a mind, then I figure I've done a small part to affect change for the better.

It's partly cathartic for me, too, but mostly I want to do what I can to get good information--and some entertainment (or, again, beauty and other things) out in the world.

I do what I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am from Australia.

What a marvellous truth-telling blog.

I see that you are interested in Art & Beauty. You might want to check out this unique piece of Art at the Kemper Museum.

www.daplastique.com/exhibititions/kemper_museum.aspx

The person who "created" this Art also wrote this remarkable book.

www.dabase.org/not2.htm