Blog Catalog

Monday, February 6, 2012

One finger, much bigger celebrity

I don't know about you but I was one of the estimated 111 million people worldwide who watched the Super Bowl last evening and I watched most of the whole thing. It was a good, close, fighting, scrapping game and you couldn't tell how it would end. I also watched the halftime performance. I thought it was great, if wildly decadent and that Madonna's entrance as a Greek (or was it Roman?) goddess was hilarious and maybe even a poke in the eye of the whole Super Bowl extravaganza with her maybe having fun with the modern-day gladiator aspect of it. Who knows? What we do know is that one of the performers--I refuse to name her here or put up her picture so she doesn't get yet further notice--"flipped off" the audience with that one middle finger. And with that one finger, she attained exactly what she wanted, too. Huge headlines. Lots of talk. Her name everywhere. Well, everywhere but here. It seems she took the old quote by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, that is "Well-behaved women rarely make history," to its extreme. I expect, in the future, at this same venue--and perhaps others--we'll have lesser-known performers trying to do more of the same, and for the same reason.

No comments: