Blog Catalog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Mary Sanchez column on the Plaza shootings: Wha??

I was surprised, at least, by Mary Sanchez' column Sunday on the Saturday evening shootings on the Plaza, with Mayor James right there. You have to read it. She says she is "...glad it was a black officer who shoved Kansas City’s black mayor into the bushes, drawing his gun protectively as shots were fired from a group of black teenagers. The race of the mayor and his bodyguard, and their perspectives, will help others be less hesitant to make the strong statements necessary after Saturday night’s shooting of three teens on the Country Club Plaza. Excuse me? Could we stop separating black from white in this country? The previous mayor had no excuse whatever to do what he did about the shootings on the Plaza and that was--nothing. He did nothing about this situation and his color should have played no role in it. He had his responsibilities and he didn't do them, either. This mayor being black doesn't heighten his responsibilities to this city--and I'm not saying that that's what she's saying, don't get me wrong--but we need to stop dividing ourselves in this city and nation. We're all Kansas Citians. We're all Americans. We have problems. We need to work together, regardless of differences otherwise, to solve them. Sheesh. What a column. Link: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/14/3076633/kc-mayor-bodyguards-reject-excuses.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange column for sure. But the truth is tolerance isn't going to defuse the current stuff that is happening around here.

I'm all for peace love and understanding but the situation is out of control the whole mob gangster mentality just laughs when you try to talk about it.

This is about turf, power, status, and a ton of other things the average citizen doesn't understand.

No doubt we need to work together but we are long ways from that now.

We are way to divided at almost every level anymore. Its as if we are in a game of mutual self destruction at this point sad to say.

Believe me if I had the magic wand I would wave it.

Mo Rage said...

To me, though, this isn't about "peace, love and understanding" however. This is just about, as I said in the entry, working together to solve our problems. We just don't need to say "me, white, you, black", as Ms. Sanchez's column seemed to be saying. We all need to roll up our sleeves and get to solutions.

I also don't think this past Saturday night's shootings were about gangs, either. Sure, I could be wrong, easily, but I doubt it strongly. I don't think this was organized by anyone or any group, let alone a gang. I think it was just stupid and some guy with a gun, taking potshots. We'll see.