Blog Catalog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The ACLU vs. KCMO: Are you kidding me?

After reading the fine print in the Kansas City Star yesterday, I see I overlooked that "the local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said a court challenge was likely" regarding a possible curfew on the Country Club Plaza, because of the shootings. Right up front, I'll tell you, I am usually always (but not always) a supporter of the ACLU and their fight for our basic rights. On this matter, however, I have to say I come down squarely agin' 'em. I mean, come on, what's more important here, teenagers rights or their lives? If it's either letting them wander free in the city so they have their "rights" or letting them get shot at, I think I'm absolutely having them get off the streets after 9 pm rather than possibly being targets for some idiot with a gun. And it's not as though the ACLU hasn't got plenty of other, far more important and bigger issues on their collective plate, either. If they want or need something to "go after", then let them pick apart all the parts and wrongs they can of the "Patriot Act", let alone all the other goofy, probing, prodding the Right Wing of the country keeps coming up with to get into our private lives, in spite of their calls for "small" and "non-intrusive" government. If the ACLU goes ahead with this and files suit, then I say we demand they fly in everyone they can on their staff and everyone else they need, so they can guard and protect people, every weekend, ad infinitum, so everyone's safe--children, adults and otherwise. If they can't or won't do that, then I suggest they butt out and file no such lawsuit. But thanks, anyway, ACLU. Link: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/15/3078819/curfew-option-has-kcs-attention.html

No comments: