Blog Catalog

Monday, April 5, 2010

The number of Iraqis killed in this war?

Yesterday, I was watching the Sunday morning replay of "The McGlaughlin Group" (hey, I was relaxing and taking in all the news programs on a Sunday morning, sue me) when Mr. McGlaughlin showed statistics that 100,000 Iraqis died in this Iraq War, since 2003 since "W" and Co. began it all (arbitrarily).

I took note, obviously.

At the time I remember thinking two things.

First, "that's a lot of people to die" and second, "I wonder if I/we can trust that number."

Well it seems it's a good thing I was paying attention.

Check this out.

A report out today I just saw on the After Downing Street blog (AfterDowningStreet.org) tells the following:

"The former head of the UN’s chief nuclear agency, Mohammed ElBaradei, said in an interview with the British newspaper Guardian Wednesday that those who launched the war in Iraq were responsible for killing a million innocent people and could be held accountable under international law."

A million.

A million Iraqis killed in this war since 2003.

Hmmm.

Sure gets you to thinking.

And I have to tell you, I'm inclined to trust the former head of the UN's chief nuclear agency before I do right-winger, flag-waving John McGlaughlin. He seems to always be sticking his right-wing opinions on his show lately, in particular. (Or maybe I just wasn't either paying attention or that aware, before now).

With 4,385 American Soldiers being killed to date, this 100,000--or a million--Iraqis killed, 2 to 4 million Iraqis displaced (McGlaughlin figures yesterday, again) and $700 billion American dollars spent so far on this debacle/quagmire/clusterpuck, how can anyone conclude that attacking Iraq in 2003 was a good idea? (Even Pat Buchanan has said--several times--that it was a bad idea).

But they do.

Tragic in so many ways.

And we're still deeply engaged, with no end in sight.

2 comments:

Radioman KC said...

I hope you're not going to do the Alonzo Washington absurdity of counting local KCMO murders, except instead of the ones in Afghanistan!

Fact is all born humans die. Most to starvation and disease and lack of health care, childbirth... less to wars and then we Americans, who die only to old age and incurable diseases.

Incredible, the extent to which we defy GOD's plans for our species and stay alive so much LONGER, with such ingenuity and medical innovation. Is that Okay with God, or did he never give a shit in the first place????

Mo Rage said...

1) I'm not going to do the "Alonzo Washington" anything--whatever that is/those are;

2) Sure, all humans--all life--has a start and end, a death. That doesn't mean we have to hasten anyone's, in this case, with an unnecessary, arbitrary and selected war for no good purpose;

3) I guess you have to believe in God first. Then, second, you have to believe he does care, given the amount of pointless and frequently excruciating suffering and death, yes.

mr