Blog Catalog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

More thoughts on last night's Plaza mess

There was just too much of what happened last evening on the Plaza to not have some more thoughts on it so here goes:

I'd really like to not see it referred to as a "riot" because that seems wrong for several reasons.

Calling it a riot seems to imply that it was organized and it patently wasn't--the only thing that may have been organized was converging in one place and raising cane.

This didn't have any real goals, it doesn't seem. It was just anarchy and chaos for entertainment's sake, I think and believe, unless and until someone can prove differently.

Finally, an "internet friend" of mine here in Kansas City (from the Kansas side, as a matter of fact), one Dr. Ernest Evans (no relation) wrote me the following today and I found it very true, of course and illuminating:

"Dan Rather has said that all journalists in the US live in terror of the "Racism Police" of the liberals and the "Patriotism Police" of the conservatives.

I hadn't heard this quote. It surprised me I hadn't.

And it's very applicable here. I think the local news organizations--the TV stations and the Star--will be very careful reporting on last night's melee'.

City government will be the same way, I think, for the same reasons but we need to do some serious, fast research on this and find out the following:

--Why two of these, to date, have happened--are they, in fact, chaos and anarchy for entertainment's sake?;

--How they're starting;

--Who is starting them;

--Finally, what needs to be done to have them stopped immediately?

Think about it. If we don't find out these last four things, above, and right away, I think everyone will expect this to happen again next Saturday evening.

For that matter, what's to keep it from happening again, tonight, after dark?

The answer is: nothing at all.

No comments: