So here we are in the United States, going to hell in a handbasket and, of course, W is about to walk away--again--from all his screw-ups, naturally, and there's talk of people expecting too much from the new President Obama and his only being human and all and "will the conservatives and Republicans be able to make a comeback", right?
And they will.
But--get this--I just saw the "top ten" list of things none other than Newt Gingrich thinks are the most important things America should get to. And here they are:
1. English should be the official language of government. (87 to 11) English? That's your number one?
2. We want our elected leaders in Washington to focus on increasing the energy supplies of the United States and lowering the costs of gasoline and electricity. (71 to 18) But not decreasing our dependence on fossil fuels?
3. The option of a single rate system should give taxpayers the convenience of filing their taxes with just a single sheet of paper. (82 to 15) Yeah, I see the Senators and representatives in Congress latching on to this one right away, don't you? Them and the IRS and the lobbyists from the accounting firms.
4. Every worker should continue to have the right to a federally supervised secret ballot election when deciding whether to organize a union. (79 to 12) Oh, yeah, just make sure it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for Americans to join and form Unions, for God's sake.
5. Keeping the reference to “One Nation Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance is very important. (88 to 11) Because nothing promotes our country, our economy and our way of life like saying "God" in our pledge and there are no other pressing issues--like, say, the economy--pending right now.
6. Congress should make it a crime to advocate acts of terrorism, violent conduct, or the killing of innocent people in the United States. (83 to 12) Otherwise, people might think we're FOR terrorism.
7. We should dramatically increase our investment in math and science education. (91 to 8) Isn't spending more money contrary to being conservative?
8. We believe that if research indicates we could build clean coal plants in the United States with no carbon emissions, it would be important to build such plants as rapidly as possible. (71 to 8) Clean coal. Yeah. Right. And flying pigs, while we're at it.
9. Illegal immigrants who commit felonies should be deported. (88 to 10) Boy, now there's a tough stance! We'll show them!
10. We support giving a large financial prize to the first company or individual who invents a new, safer way to dispose of nuclear waste products. (79 to 16) But NOT for any of that pussy solar power stuff, which makes so much more sense.
So these are the ideas that are supposed to bring the conservatives and Republicans back into power? (you can see all this at www.newt.org).
Are you kidding me?
Could these guys--Newt in particular here, not just W--be more out of touch with America, the American people and our problems and issues?
It looks like it's going to be a smooth ride for a while, as long as they think like this--that this is the way to solve our problems and get back the American electorate.