Blog Catalog

Thursday, January 1, 2009

And so comes a new year

There's so much to say, so much to think, so much to consider.

The one thing that comes over me, more than any other thought right now is "Thank God George Walker Bush is almost no longer the leader of this country."

Sometimes these events--New Year's, birthdays, other things--come along and they're particularly poignant.

Two years ago, for instance, I turned 50.

Like everyone, when I came to that half-century mark, it made me think and take stock of my life--what I've done, what I haven't done, who I am, where I am, etc.

This New Year celebration, if that's what it is for us--and I think it is, still--brings us to the near-end of a two-term President who has led us in wrong paths: into an arbitrary, unnecessary and expensive war, in terms of lives lost and damaged and financial costs.

This same President also turned our government against us and for and towards the ultra-rich and big business and corporations.

It's been ugly.

But hey, here comes the end of the year and the end of his administration and leadership.

And here also comes new leadership and fresh faces, motivations and ideas.

And you know what?

I think virtually everyone is ready for that, don't you think?

So here's to the old year--and the new.

Here's to friends and good times and good memories.

Here's to hope and optimism.

We have a lot of work ahead of us but for now, let's make a toast to new possibilities.

No comments: