Blog Catalog

Monday, September 17, 2012

The blatant racism on network TV


I know the racism on TV has declined a great deal in the last few decades and it's not nearly as bad as it once was, by any means, but every once in a while, it just slaps you on the face.

Yet another strong example of this was shown to me last evening when I was rather "forced" to watch a couple hours of the somewhat new program "Revenge."

It's mostly about very wealthy people--who also happen to be either very beautiful or very handsome, thanks very much--but what struck me is that on all the time I watched, I saw a total of 3--count 'em, 3--black people or "people of color." And of those 3, two were insignificant, very briefly shown characters. They were two service people. The third, a woman, was a possible female love interest of one of the main male characters. Get this--she was shown only for a very short time toward the end of the show and entire evening, too.

So racism, you're still alive on network programming, it seems, even if you are dying, thank goodness.

We have a way to go yet.

We can do better than this.

Link: http://abc.go.com/watch/revenge/SH55126554

No comments: