Blog Catalog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Ms. Kitty Wells, may you rest in peace




I got another education today, from NPR, when they told of Kitty Wells passing and, of course, then, her history. I knew her name and knew she was a country singer but that was about it. I didn't know her music because, when younger, I swore I'd never listen to that style.

I changed. I was wrong. About country music, anyway, as some of it I enjoy.

Anyway, the thing that, to me, was most important about her and her breakthrough, was that she was the first woman to have a number one single in Country music.

Here, from the NPR story, is what is most important about Ms. Wells, to me, anyway:

"In 1952, she shattered the rules of country music with one song she recorded as a demo: 'It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels.'

The song made her the first woman to score a solo hit on the top of the country charts. It even crossed over to the pop charts. But it was seen as incredibly controversial. The song defended women's behavior in the face of cheating men. The country music establishment was horrified, says historian Mary Bufwack."


It immediately reminded me of the onld, famous quote:

“Well-behaved women seldom make history.” ―-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

So good on you, Kitty Wells. You spoke up. You were original and creative and had guts. You believed in yourself and loved singing and did what you wanted to do.

Thank you for all that.

Link: http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/07/16/156869670/kitty-wells-pioneering-country-singer-dies

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

When I started teaching myself to chord on the guitar, that's when I began listening to country music. Back then, most country songs could be sung using only three chords. The first song I ever learned to chord to was "Honky-tonk Angels". I bought a double-record set of Kitty's greatest hits, and when Cliff and I got married we would put them on the record player and go to sleep listening to Kitty Wells.

Mo Rage said...

That's great. Cool story. Thanks.