Blog Catalog

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Shawnee Mission East's "Grapes of Wrath"

 
The last thing I want to be is mean.

(Yes, I swear).

But someone needs to tell high school drama teachers that the last thing they should have their students do is put on a performance of "The Grapes of Wrath." That is, unless you want the audience to willfully go out, get or buy a gun and shoot themselves.

While a well-done production (the kids do a great job), this is painful, dark stuff, in any economy, but particularly now.

If you're up and want to come down, go see it.

If you're down and want to go further down, again, this is for you.

God bless their pea-pickin' little hearts.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

limadean said...

I was in a post-apocalyptic play in junior high, which would've been depressing if it wasn't so unintentionally hilarious.

Mo Rage said...

it's funny you should say that because, coincidentally, I sat quietly in the audience, shielded my face and laughed, at times. It as so bleak, I had to laugh.

thanks.

Anonymous said...

Let me start off by saying that Grapes of Wrath is one of the most beautiful works of literature I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It's an assigned reading for many high schools, so why is bad for a high school to do a production of it? Yes it's not a comedy, but a lot of plays aren't Neil Simon.

Mo Rage said...

congratulations. I'm not being sarcastic when I say it's good you could and did enjoy the book.

I didn't once suggest it wasn't a good book. It is terrific literature, to be sure. It was even an important piece of literature, I should add, because it highlighted--and still does--the working class, the poor and the downtrodden. It helped in supporting Unions, thank goodness.

What I said and meant was that it was and is a very dark--to the point of depressing and painful--piece of drama. There are tons of works that could be done that would have made the same or different points, without being this dark and down. As parents, friends and family, we don't necessarily have to sit through this down a piece, jsut to support our kids. If you knew anything about me, you would know I'm all about supporting the "little man" and I'm all about educating people of all classes and types on injustices, as are shown in this work.

Actually, it can easily be argued that the book, while an important and educating piece, is not translated to theater that well.

I also repeat--the students did a terrific job with this.

It was the piece itself that was and is questionable for their audience.

You should also know I don't respect anyone who writes in comments anywhere on the internet who sign themselves "Anonymous".