Blog Catalog

Monday, October 1, 2012

October is "National Vegetarian Awareness Month"?



Does this seem like a good idea?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great if someone is vegetarian, for sure. In fact, I try to eat lots more vegetables and fruits for my health and waist, everything, sure. I can't do away, totally, with meat in my diet yet but I do all right. I think I probably eat less red meat, at least, than the average American.

My point is, if we're talking increasing vegetarian awareness, wouldn't it make more sense to do it in, say, August, because of the heat? I know it's a lot easier for me to eat more vegetables in the form of salads and so on, because it's usually so bloody hot (no pun intended) here in the Midwest. And this year would have been a great one for it, since we were so much hotter than normal.

In October, when it's getting cooler, as it's about to, here in the Midwest this week, it seems like that's the time when people are maybe firing up more barbecues to grill--gasp--red meat (or chicken or pork or whatever).

Barbecue seems to taste especially good when it's cooler but maybe that's me.

Anyway, here's to National Vegetarian Awareness Month.

Maybe put on that big pot of vegetable soup.

Good luck with it.

Link: http://healthymeals.nal.usda.gov/features-month/october/vegetarian-awareness-month

No comments: