Blog Catalog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Chinese ignorance and hypocrisy in full flower


Last weekend, Sunday's New York Times had two full-page advertisements in it, I noticed.

One was from, by and for Saudi Arabia, so we'd like them more and, I'm sure, so our business people would invest more in their country.

The second was for the same reasons and was by and for China.

It struck me as interesting at the time and I very nearly wrote about the two ads just because I thought it interesting and unusual.

I got busy and now I write about one of them--the Chinese one--for completely different reasons that happened to break late yesterday. This is it:

China Blocks Web Access to Times After Article


While this is the article they're blocking:

Billions in Hidden Riches for Family of Chinese Leader


It is unclear how much Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, who has staked a position as a populist and a reformer, knows about the $2.7 billion in assets his family has amassed.
(Links at bottom)

How ironic--and even hypocritical--is that?

First the Chinese are spending what I'm sure is big money to impress us Americans to invest in their country and think of them differently and then this. They shut down a report on the possible or even likely corruption of one of their leaders.

Considering this, that there is no freedom of the press--or, likely, any real freedom there--and that businesses can be and sometimes are taken over by the government, no questions asked, how can they advertise to us like that?

You want us to invest in your country why?

And how?

Link: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=new+york+times+china+news&btnK=

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/business/global/family-of-wen-jiabao-holds-a-hidden-fortune-in-china.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121026

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think they are being ignorant or hypocritical. They are totalitarian capitalists. Making no pretense to 'free speech', they don't tolerate criticism or dissent. There's no reason why they should. We are the ones who are being ignorant & hypocritical, while they are giving lessons in pure capitalism.

Myself, I don't believe in capitalism. I don't believe its okay to exploit the labor of the masses so individuals can live in luxury & while the workers live in hovels.

Mo Rage said...

We're in between each other on all this.

I still think they're being at least ignorant--of us, of America and Americans--if they think one week they can advertise in the NY Times to get our business and then turn around and censor us, in effect, blatantly.

Hypocritical for the same reason.

But both of those are out here, outside China. From within and to them, I agree, they're not being either. They're using every bit of all the systems to benefit their system and themselves. That's Capitalism in its purist sense.

I, too, don't believe in Capitalism, especially unfettered, free-market Capitalism and I certainly don't think it's okay to exploit the labor of the masses so a far smaller group can live in luxury while the workers "live in hovels."

"Workers of the world unite!"

MR

Anonymous said...

You surprised me. I didn't think you would publish my comment, let alone, agree with me. When I said that 'Communist China' wasn't a communist country on another blog, the chief knuckle-dragger had a fit & repeated his favorite mantra: 'You're an idiot!'.

Mo Rage said...

I can't imagine why I wouldn't publish your comment since we talk out here from time to time. I rather consider us online friends, basically. I also respect your viewpoints to date.

As for China, I've read up on them in the last few years. It's unfettered, unbridled, top-down Capitalism, only made worse than ours because it's less Democratic and the leaders can decide what they want to have happen.

Anonymous said...

I consider us online friends as well. I'm geographically & socially isolated, mostly by choice, but the internet & a translator allow me to communicate with anyone in the world, in what any language is required. We completely agree on China. I might be knocked off line for a few days; we're awaiting developments here as the FrankenStorm approaches.

Mo Rageq said...

Good luck of course with all this weather. Let me know how it went.

Best,

ke

Anonymous said...

We were just out of range! We only got a few flurries. I'm looking forward to a nice long Indian Summer.