Blog Catalog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Real Reason Some People Are Upset And We Have The Tea Party, reprise

There is a woman somewhere in town who writes a blog "Uncommon Courage" I occasionally look in on. First, let me say I think it takes guts to label it so, if you're talking about yourself, don't you think? Like, "Here I am, folks, and I am uncommonly courageous!". That's the way it comes across to me but hey, if she's happy, let her have at it. (Side note: under the title, she writes: "My Courageous Clients" but I think it still comes off badly, but that's me). Second, I hate pink and the blog's all pink. Ugh. Call me sexist, whatever, it's just repellent. Third, she's no doubt bright (she quotes Ghandi, for pity's sake--how can you go wrong with Ghandi?) but she's an attorney. Sure, we need people in law to keep things going right but really, an attorney. I won't even start with the attorney jokes. (I love the one about even rats not doing some things attorneys will. It's my favorite but I digress). Anyway, she wrote an entry on The Real Reason Some People Are Upset And We Have The Tea Party and I have to say two things about it. To begin with, she's wrong. She didn't write the real reason people are upset and we have the Tea Party. She got off-topic. Finally, then, all the comments on her viewpoint then got racist. It happens every time with this subject--either the Tea Party people get racist or the people writing about them say they're racist, and then the Tea Party people try to explain themselves and it just devolves further into real ugliness. We should be better than this. Consequently, I have written my take on this subject--the real reason some people are upset and we have the Tea Party. To wit: 1) We pay taxes 2) We have high debt 3) The gov't doesn't work (thank you, Republicans in general and Geo. W. Bush & Co., in particular) In short, folks, people are upset because the system isn't working and doesn't work, period, but we're still expected to do our fiscal duty, even with horrible results. Unfortunately, at the same time, white people really are losing some power while women, Hispanics and African-Americans, at minimum, are gaining so some of them get further insecure and, truth be told, racist. And this has nothing to do with the 3 reasons people are upset but it gets mixed in anyway. We need to keep it simple, folks. We need to not be hating on each other. Let's, instead, resolve that we're all Americans, define our problems and then define solutions we can all work with. If we stick with this, all other labels and ugliness would be unnecessary and we can maybe get good things done. First thing we do, kill all the lawyers. No, no, I'm kidding with that one (though I love the joke). The first thing we should actually do is get all the big, ugly, distorting corporate money out of our government but that's another entry.

2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

-how can you go wrong with Ghandi?


"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Mo Rage said...

hey, it's Friday.

Have at it.

lol

mr