Blog Catalog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On the launch of a "solar dynamics observatory"

In case you missed it, there is a solar dynamics observatory going up into space today, thanks to NASA--and our tax dollars--that is going to study the sun for the next 5 years, inside and out, literally.

And while I find this fascinating, I can't help but also think that, between this new instrument, the Hubble telescope already looking into the far reaches of space and the Hadron collider in Switerland, looking back to the original, creating "big bang" that made us all, the universe, really, that somewhere we don't have one hell of a lot of information out there on this crazy universe of ours.

I mean, think of it. The Hubble alone is collecting so much data NASA said they can't keep up with it.

What if they found there was no God?

Or what if they found there was--but she/he was unlike what anyone had proposed to date? (Which, after all, is highly possible and even likely).

So it makes me want to propose two thoughts:

1) What if the US government learned something particularly incredible about us, about the universe--and then could not/would not tell us?

I think it makes a great story line.

Which brings me to my 2nd point:

2) Wouldn't this make a terrific sci-fi movie?

If only Rod Serling were alive.

"Calling Mr. Spielberg..."

No comments: