Blog Catalog

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It was already scary out there

Now, I think, it's getting scarier.

This whole Arlen Specter becoming a Democrat and getting the country closer to a filibuster-proof Democratic majority has really brought out further ugliness, it seems, and out-and-out fear and anger on the part of the far right.

A guy in my office came in today and told me a prediction of his I can't even repeat.

I tell you, the anger, frustration, fear, hate and ugliness out there against this President and the country is palpable.

The ability to spread half-truths and even out-and-out lies and/or misinformation on and by the internet makes it so easy to do and people are believing every ugly word of what they see.

It makes me concerned, absolutely, and I'm not one given to emotionalism when it comes to national, social events and trends.

And the list of these people's concerns are long, too:

--Illegal Aliens
--High taxes
--President Obama
--Congress, collectively
--the Senate
--the House of Representatives
--gays/homosexuals
--African-Americans
--Mexicans
--Islamists
--Muslims
--people from India
--people of color
--the border and the fact that they see it as "open"
--climate change and people who are for fighting it
--people who are for taking some power and maybe even profits from corporations
--environmentalists
--Liberals
--Democrats

I could go on, and on.

My point?

These people are angry and have a lot of people and things, in their minds, to be angry about. They don't like what they're seeing--at all.

And they have guns.

And they're buying more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just remember, it's in palpable in the red states, but not everywhere. Though they are a large number, they are a distinct and shrinking minority.

Mo Rage said...

I hope you're absolutely right, Anon--shrinking and the faster the better. Thanks.