Blog Catalog

Monday, April 13, 2009

Hooray! Now let's try to solve the problem

Okay, great news we got yesterday afternoon, that Captain Richard Phillips was rescued, safely, from the pirates who had kidnapped him from his ship off the coast of Somalia.

I think a common thought by many people is that they should do a movie of this of some kind.

And sure, it's got all the elements--modern-day pirates who capture innocent men on a ship at sea and it turns out well, complete with Navy Seals (I think, right? that's who killed the 3 pirates?) and a successful mission in the middle of the night.

Sure.

But you know what I'd like to see?

I think we need to have someone the police or someone, release information on the 3 pirates killed and the one held by authorities.

Don't get me wrong here--I'm no soft-headed liberal who thinks these 3 men were "victims" of any sort.

What I do think is that these 3 men were probably very uneducated (read: ignorant) and from extremely poor backgrounds, at minimum, out of this country, Somalia, that is also extremely poor and that doesn't even have a working government.

Again, let me say, this doesn't make their kidnapping, threats and any other actions they undertook any less wrong, by any means. Make no mistake about that.

I'm just saying that it's these extreme conditions of poverty, lack of education and a virtually complete lack of government and law in Somalia that has created the conditions of piracy in and around Somalia.

It would be interesting reading and should give us ideas and direction on how to possibly, solve the problems of piracy and, hopefully, poverty in Somalia and on the African mainland, with any luck.

No comments: