Blog Catalog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Do you know how our Apple products are made?

This radio program, "This American Life", is played, weekly, on NPR. They tell different stories each week on different topics. This time, they told of how and where Apple products are made. (It's in China and it's with really horrible, slave-like conditions of the workers. 12, 13 and 14 year olds, in many cases with 12 hour days for as little as $17 per day, according to The New York Times (see link below). The incident of suicides are infamous. This podcast doesn't deal as much with those--the suicides--or things that gory, so you know.
Everyone needs to know. Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?pagewanted=all. Also, at this link, there is Apple's response: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2012/01/a-response-to-the-news-from-apple

4 comments:

Mo said...

They did a segment about this on CBS Sunday morning this week. I kept saying, 'But all the computers are made in the same manner overseas. Why are they picking on Apple?"
My question was answered a few minutes later: Because Apple claims to be so ahead of it's time and superior to other products, they should be held to a higher standard.
I don't think that sort of reasoning holds water, but that's basically what they said. Watch for yourself.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57367950/the-dark-side-of-shiny-apple-products/?tag=contentBody;cbsCarousel

Mo Rage said...

Mo--above--is not me, to be clear.

Thanks, Mo, for the link.

I think the other reason they focus on Apple is because of their profitability. The thinking being, if they're that profitable, perhaps they should pay the employees more, etc., and give them a living wage, make certain people aren't being harmed by the working conditions, etc.

Mo said...

Oh, I am not signed in by my right name! Sorry about that, this is Donna. Now I'll go log out and log back in under my proper name. Picasa was going to start charging me to add more pictures to my header, said I had used up all my freebie space. Meesha told me all I had to do was make another Google account.

The reason for the "Mo" is that years ago my AOL username was mo2773, and Mo turned out to be my nickname. I still have people all across the country who call me "Mo" or "Mosie".

Mo Rage said...

Well, it's not like I minded. I just wanted it cleared up in case anyone thought I responded to my own post, that's all.

Mine is mostly just an abbreviation for Missouri, as some might guess.