Blog Catalog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Best, most beautiful TV ever?

Holy cow. Tonight, for the first time, I saw an episode of this new TV show, "Luck" on and from HBO. I have to say, I have never, ever been so dazzled by a program. For that matter, I have never been so immediately dazzled by a television series ever. Between the cinematography, the setting, the actors, the characters, the setting, the buildup, the soundtrack and music---everything--it is without doubt the most beautiful, engaging TV I've ever seen. And this was just after watching one one-hour episode. It was like life on a beautiful, hallucinogenic drug, but without the drugs, for one hour. Since it's built around a horse racetrack and the requisite races, it has a wonderful tension and buildup, too. It has Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte and a whole cast of characters who seem totally in their element. It is some stunning TV. This from a guy who--swear to goodness--is virtually never taken in by TV or even movies, unless there really is something there. You should see this. If you can, see it in full HD with a sound system, from opening to the credits. It is as rich as a video, visual experience can be, I think. It is downright sexy and extremely sophisticated and alluring. There will be people who don't enjoy it, I suppose, but I feel sure they will be in a tiny minority.

No comments: