Blog Catalog

Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's a whole other country, all right

Texas. Oh, yeah, like their advertising campaign of a few years ago said, it's a "whole other country", all right.

The proof this week?

It seems there is a small town--Harrold, Texas--that is letting its school's teachers and faculty carry sidearms.

Yeah. Guns.

Whereas the rest of the country--and maybe the world--sees the countryside as bucolic, peaceful and quiet, this town feels it must arm itself "just in case", because it's 20 or 30 miles from the nearest Sheriff's office. Should something happen, they want to be ready.

To me, this is further proof of why I want to stay away from that "God-fearing", gun-totin' state of Texas. Between their right-wing, narrow-minded, again, God-fearing, evangelistic viewpoints and their collective stance on guns, of which this is further proof, I'd just as soon not go. Outside of fun- and music-loving, more liberal Austin, which I'd only visit, you literally couldn't pay me enough to live in that whole, big place called Texas. No, thanks.

There are plenty of people who view Texas the way Californians view--or used to--their state of California. That is, there is no other place to live. But for me, between the heat and these various ways of thinking just become more and more proof of why I want to stay away.

And they won't be disappointed if I do.

See the full story here:
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/n15386617-texas-guns/

No comments: